Who can register
To register to vote you must be:
- a US citizen;
- at least 18 years old on or before the next election; and
- residing at your present address for at least 30 days.
You are not eligible to register or vote if you are on parole or probation, or if you are serving a prison sentence for violating State or Federal law.
Where to register
Applications for registration can be obtained from the Fort Lee Borough Clerk, or from the Commissioner of Registration office in Bergen County (see address below). Registration forms are also available in various State agencies and at Division of Motor Vehicle offices and can be obtained while transacting agency business. You can also print out a registration form below and after entering the required data, mail it to the Bergen County Commissioner of Registration.
Then deliver your completed Voter Registration Form to:
BERGEN COUNTY COMMISSIONER OF REGISTRATION
1 Bergen County Plaza, Room 380
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Primary Elections are ordinarily held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June. The primary is held to nominate party candidates for the General Election and to elect party members of the State and County Committees and Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National Conventions in Presidential Election years. Polls for Primary Elections are open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.
General Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November to elect various National, State, County and Municipal officials to office. Polls for General Elections are open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Special Elections may be held at various times throughout the year, but generally on a Tuesday. Notification of such elections is advertised in your local newspaper.
Dates to remember in 2014
- March 31 - Candidate nominating petition filing deadline for June 3rd Primary Election (must be filed no later than 4:00 p.m.)
- April 9 - Last day to change parties in order to be eligible to vote in that Party in the Primary Election of June 3, 2014
- May 13 - Last day to register to vote in the June 3rd Primary Election
- May 27 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot for the June 3rd Primary Election
- June 2 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot at the County in person for the June 3rd Primary Election
- June 3 - Candidate nominating petition filing deadline for Independent Candidates and School Board Candidates - petitions filed directly with the County Clerk in Hackensack
- June 3 - Primary Election Day - voting hours 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Registered Democrats must vote Democratic. Registered Republicans must vote Republican. Unaffiliated voters must declare which party they want to vote for at the polls. If an Unaffiliated voter wishes to go back to Unaffiliated after the Primary Election, a form must be filled out no later than 57 days before the next Primary Election (contact Borough Clerk's Office at 201-592-3500 ext. 1505 if you have any questions). There is no crossover voting in New Jersey on Primary Elections.
- October 14 - Last day to register to vote in the November 4th General Election
- October 28 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot for the November 4th General Election
- November 3 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot at the County in person for the November 4th General Election
- November 4 - General Election Day - includes School Board Candidates - voting hours 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
The polls are open for General Elections and Primary Elections from 6:00 am until 8:00 pm. Polling locations for the election districts in Fort Lee are as follows:
|1||Firehouse #4, 4 Brinkerhoff Avenue|
|2||Firehouse #4, 4 Brinkerhoff Avenue|
|3||Horizon Towers South, 5 Horizon Road|
|4||Horizon Towers South, 5 Horizon Road|
|5||Fort Lee Community Center, 1355 Inwood Terrace (Multipurpose Room)|
|6||Fort Lee Community Center, 1355 Inwood Terrace (Multipurpose Room)|
|7||Recreation Center, Stillwell Avenue|
|8||Senior Citizens’ Activities Center, 319 Main Street|
|9||School #1, 250 Hoym Street|
|10||Fort Lee Museum, 1589 Parker Avenue (Palisade Ave. entrance)|
|11||School #2, 2481 Lemoine Avenue|
|12||School #3, 2405 2nd Street/Myrtle Avenue|
|13||Fort Lee Youth Center, 2265 Lemoine Avenue|
|14||Fort Lee Youth Center, 2265 Lemoine Avenue|
|15||Fire Co. #2, 2481 Lemoine Avenue|
|16||School #3, 2405 2nd Street/Myrtle Avenue|
|17||Horizon Towers South, 5 Horizon Road|
|18||Fort Lee Youth Center, 2265 Lemoine Avenue|
|19||Ambulance Corps, Corner of Main Street & Anderson Avenue|
If you are not sure which Election District you are in and where you should go to vote:
- New Jersey State Division of Elections
- New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission
- Federal Election Commission